Know when to fold 'em

This layout started out with Sketch Three from the Quirky Kit Simple Sketches. I knew the kind of way I wanted it to go and then decided that I would start with some colour on the background. I used a Theresa Collins stencil and translucent embossing paste. When that was dry I covered it with blue gelato and washed it down
I adore the WRMK vellum paper and decided to try colouring a portion with watercolours.
I painted on the back so that the silver was still dominant
The small pieces (the flowers and the stripe strip that came on the bottom of the paper) did roll up but flattened out with glue on the back.

I then decided to make a layered photo mat rather than just a frame as in the sketch so gathered a few of the papers together, inking and outlining the edges. I cut the layers with scissors so that nothing was too straight. This is not just because I am lazy (well maybe a bit) but I do like to sometimes add the softness that non straight edges bring. Having stuck the photo mat together and having gathered a few embellishments to go with it, I went to stick the photo down but it just didn't feel right in the place the sketch suggested. So I moved it even more to the centre and suddenly it all worked so much better

I think it is key with sketches not to let them dominate the process  - it was a great starting point and I think you can see the influence but it is not as directly used as the one in my last blog post. I inked the burlap anchor with Peacock Feathers Distress Ink and made the camera parts black rather than the original brown. I tried not to have too much that takes the eye away from the photo, but rather wanted to draw the eye in.
NB I have now straighted up the letter stickers. They needed extra glue as they really didn't like being stuck on vellum

No comments:

Post a Comment