Explore | ScrappyNerdUK (Claire) | March/April 2017

Hello Friends.

I'm here with my latest layout using March/April 2017 kit and I really wanted to inspire you to use the fabulous custom cards to make a layout. I love project life to document my every day life and if you're anything like me then you'll swoon over pretty journalling and filler cards.

If you think that the these cards are purely for pocket pages then you are mistaken and seriously missing a trick. My challenge to you is to use these cards in your other scrapbooking formats, traditional 12x12 layouts, 9x12 layouts (or A4 if that's your preference), Smashbooks, Travellers Notebooks and so on. These cards (custom cards from Quirky Kits) are so versatile and I'll show you how.

I chose to make a 9x12 layout using only (well 99%) custom cards and this will make your kit stretch so much further.




I started with a white piece of cardstock and I knew straight away that I was going to create my embellishments from the custom cards. So I went through these cards and found there were 2 cards with butterflies and another with a beautiful floral print.

This gave me the inspiration to make a start. I fussy cut the butterflies and the floral out of the custom cards and already I had 3 pieces of "ephemera" to use.



I knew that this wasn't going to be enough to embellish my page with (and that is completely my style to add all the things!!!!). So I found there was a 4x6 card that had these clouds (photo to the right) and "weather report" written on it. I set to work by fussy cutting those flowers to add to my page.

I was loving where this layout was taking me. As the cards are all colour co-ordinating, you do not need to worry about getting your embellishments to match, as its already done for you!!

Next I decided on the photo. I know a lot of people start with the photo. I like to be the odd ball and make a start on my layout and then find a photo that will work (I have hundreds of photos printed so I have a lot to choose from). I then used another of the 4x6 cards to layer behind my photo, with an added velum layer in-between. (velum from my stash - if you don't own velum then you need to go and buy some!! Its great for layering and it can also tone down those loud papers)


Next I used the journalling card that had the "captured" title and this was a perfect space to add my journalling. I'm not one to add much journalling (if any) to my layouts and so I used this space and some tiny alpha stickers (from the lite kit) and filled in these details with minimal information.

If I had a bigger story to tell then there is plenty of space to write on this card. I did cut this journalling card down slightly and backed it with another co-ordinating 3x4 card to make it pop off the white background.

I used the acrylic word "Explore" for my title and set to just getting my embellishments stuck down. No procrastinating!!!! I used the branding strip from one of the 12x12 papers to layer over the clouds to bring some of the black tones up to the top of the layout. This also created some interest at the top.


And here is the finished layout. I used a couple of the words from the branding strip to layer over the butterflies also. I then used a tag from the Elle's Studio Die Cut Pack from the Main kit and added a bit of black and white twine. Its not a tag without twine! I also added the "remember this tag" above the photo to bring some of the green colour down into the photo layers.

Then all finished off with those AMAZING Nuvo Jewel Drops.

So, I used a total of 7 custom cards, 1 branding strip, a tag, a label die cut, a tiny bit of twine, an acrylic word for my title, a few small alphas for the journalling and a small amount of Jewel drops.

I'm not one to toot my own horn, but I LOVE how this layout turned out and I would say that it really challenged me - but it didn't. Once I looked at the card individually, I could see straight away that there were lots of inspiration on all of them.


REMEMBER - My challenge to you is to grab your custom cards and make at least 1 layout with it. Whether you scrap traditionally or TN's or even if you scrap in Project Life format - grab those cards and do something different with them.

Don't forget to upload these to the Crafty Templates Facebook Group!!

Keep your eyes peeled for more layouts using the custom cards.

See you all next time!!

Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment