Autumn Journal - How I've made my mini album

Hi!

Here's a look into the construction of my Autumn Journal mini album. To start off with I gathered together things I'd be using and I'll also be pulling out bits and pieces as I go along. I'm primarily using the 'Crisp Air' Quirky Kit main and the 'Traditions' Custom Card Quirky Kit. Because I have so little that hasn't come from a Quirky Kit in my stash then 99% of the other things I'm using are all from past kits. I just pulled out bits I thought would work well. It's mainly leafy bits and my favourite polka dots and lots of kraft and black/white which will go with anything!

 
For the cover I've used some greyboard that's just recycled packaging. You could use anything that's sturdy for a minibook cover. If you didn't have anything else the cardboard from your kit pizza box packaging would work just as well.
 
 
Here's the front cover, covered!
 
I just added a little embellishment to start off with, more may get added once I'm finished and I can see what's left to use! A puffy sticker from the Pinkfresh Escape the Ordinary collection pack, (there was a pack in the embellishment kit and it was in the extras shop). The tag is from the custom card kit as are the little wooden bits. I stamped the title with a roller alphabet stamp.
 
 
Inside I'm using 6x8 page protectors. I have a whole bunch left over from December Daily last year. I bought one of those 100 variety packs and I have about 60 left so I pulled out about 20 to use here. It's just what I have in my stash if you don't have them but have loads of patterned paper sheets or plain card sheets use those as your pages. You could even do a mix up so you mix in just a few page protector pages and do others cardstock. I don't always use pocket pages in the traditional way so don't think this is going to be 'stick a card in a pocket' album! To fix the whole thing together I'm just using bookrings.

Here's the back cover. It's the same chipboard but covered with one of the other main kit papers.
 
On the inside I have a transparency with one of the Star Gazer stickers from the main kit, (the transparency sheet was in an older main Quirky Kit, I think it was April 2014?).
 
 
Then as it'll be split across two months, (Oct/Nov) I've done a title page with October. This was made with a piece of cardstock, (old Jan/Feb main kit) and one of the custom cards with one of the tags from the custom card kit stapled to it. I just got a Rexel Bambi mini stapler and I'm a little addicted to adding mini staples to everything! I coloured in the staples orange with a Promarker before I used them.
 
 
Here's my first page. The first prompt was 'Orange'. I used a photo of the orange roses that have started to flower again in the crazy for October warm weather we're having. The page protector has 2 4x6 pockets. I used the bottom one for the journalling, (pieces of paper + a tag layered together). The top pocket I've made into a shaker pocket by filling it with some of the sequins from the main kit and one of the wooden shapes then stitching with my sewing machine in a rectangle over the pocket to seal them inside. The photo I added to a tag from the main kit and I've attached it over the top of the page protector with a mini staple. A couple of the Pinkfresh Studio puffy stickers add a little more embellishment and there's a little bit of washi tape from an older embellishment kit, (June this year one).
 
I made the journalling strips on my home printer. This is how I make mine - it might not work in your printer - all printers are so temperamental, (mine is from one day to the next!).
First I printed it on regular paper just using Word and leaving a big space at the top of the page then double spacing each line. You can check that it's the right size for you page too. The font I'm using is A type writer for me.
 
 
Then I glue on a scrap of white card over the top using a few dots of glue stick, not loads of it just enough to stick it to the paper, usually two or three dots. Let it dry.
 
 
Then it does back in the printer, (mine needs to go upside down as it rolls upwards, your printer may be different so figure out how it rolls up the paper first) and print the same page again so it prints over the top of the card. I always pick the 'best' printing option just to slow down how it feeds into the printer as if it goes at it's usual crazy pace it can rip off the card piece.

 
Hope this has inspired you to start creating your own Autumn Journal! There'll be at least two new prompts a week and I'll keep sharing what I'm making. If you sign up to the class newsletter you'll get sent everything to your email inbox too so you can keep all the prompts and ideas together:https://quirkykits.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/autumn-journal-class.html
 
The next prompt should be in the last blog post it's 'Leafy Layers'. I'm just starting my page now so will pop back once it's finished to share. x Leo
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment