One of my favourite techniques when using lots of patterned paper is to repeat a geometric shape on my layout. The Footnote kit features loads of lovely double sided papers and this way of using them means that you don't have the dilemma of which side to choose!
Here are two layouts that have the same idea at the basis but (I think) they end up looking quite different.

This one uses hexagons - made all the more easy by having a new die to cut the shapes out. The die also features hexagons stuck together and I used the off cut to create the zigzag border on the bottom of the photo. In real life the yellows of the papers match the yellow of the sign and the van perfectly. I love it when that happens.

I inked round the edge of everything with Vintage Photo Distress Ink and beofre sticking the paper pieces down I flicked some brown glimmer mist across the cardstock. I spent a while playing about with the shapes until I was happy with the flow and then adhered them down. I used an alphabet die to form the title and the subtitle was made using the fabby stickers that come with the kit. I then added the journalling, making the lines deliberately wonky and uneven to break up the geometry a little.

I love the ribbon from the kit and wanted to find a way to use it that would not overwhelm the page so I gathered it and added random staples with my tiny attacher.
Finally I sprinkled some of the circles and stars from the kit across the page and more or less stuck them down where they fell with some Glossy Accents.

This layout took very little time at all once the shapes were die cut. The other layout took rather longer as more maths was involved.
(ooh its a bit wonky close up isn't it)
This photo is very special as it is the first one I took of where we are going to live. It wasn't definate that we were going to live there at the time. I thought that I had lost this pic but it turned out it was on the camera that my son then took to University.

I had decided to try a grid pattern. I thought I would make it easy by using one of my square punches as they say what the size square will be. Only I had already given them to the Church card club as part of my downsizing, having decided I didn't need them AND Nestabilities. Wrong. Which meant that each square was quite a difficult size to measure. Each empty grid needed to be something like 2 1/8" square. Which took a bit of working out. But I think it was worth it in the end. I was hesitant to use real stitching as I often have a problem stopping (no, really, I always have a look of mild panic on my face when I machine stitch). So this is all faux stitching. An awful lot of pricking and then going over with black pen. But worth it I think. Having made the grid and inked the edges of the papers with Black Soot Distress Ink, I was going to place the photo in the bottom right corner. But somehow it landed top left and I think the balance is better. There was an empty space at the top right of the photo which made a good spot for a title made from small letters and also draws the eye into the layout.

I made some layered flowers using various punches (still got those) and cut two of the leaves from the fab suede effect ribbon. I stuck them down before adding the journalling

I finished it off with a few more of the gold sparkles.

I have one more layout to show you before the end of June - this last one will combine elements from both Observations and Footnote

1 comment:

  1. Great LOs. Love the hexie's the best. It will be a shame when the last LO's done as you have done a phenomenal job with the kits.