California Here We Come | ScrappyNerdUK (Claire) | July/August 2017

Hello Quirky Peeps.

Do you ever struggle with theme paper? A picture or pattern that fills the whole of the 12x12 paper? Well, you'll be gladded you stopped by the blog today as I show you how to use the paper without it being too distracting from the photographs.

For this I used the paper "Follow Your Dreams" from Fancy Pants which was in the main kit. My first priority was to contain the layout so I cut off a 1/4 inch strip around each edge of the paper and backed it with a piece of 12x12 white cardstock.




Next up were the photos. With a themed background, its very important to keep the photo layers very neutral. So you'll see that I chose to matt by photos on some white cardstock only. I trialled a couple of patterned papers and it was just too busy. I like how the white border around the photo matches the white border around the paper.




Next up was the title. I needed a title that would stand out on this background and so used the stickers from Kaisercraft 12x12 sticker sheet from the Lite kit. I used the natural edge in the paper to rest the word "California" on and placed the rest of my title in the blank space below. Its very important to lay your alphas on top of an area that isn't busy as it can be extremely hard to read the title. If you struggle then try using some gesso which will be a more messy look but will help tone down the background for you to lay your title on top.








The final thing now was to embellish. The paper itself did all of the hardwork for this layout. So I decided to layer a quarter of the doily in the corner and used a die cut from the ephemera pack from the main kit. I then added some banner stickers from the sticker sheet from the Lite Kit and some tiny word stickers from the main kit.
I added the banner chipboard from the lite kit underneath my title to draw some interest down to that area. I then felt the area to the left of the photos needed something so I grabbed the circle ephemera piece from the main kit that said, Lets Go (perfect!!) and added another tiny word sticker and a few more chipboard word stickers.

This layout is going to be the opening page to my Las Vegas - San Francisco album and I love love love how this turned out. 

Quirky Kits does it again!!

See you all again - very soon.

Claire x










No comments:

Post a Comment