Trying something new

It is always a red letter day when a new Quirky Kit is delivered. And Leo has upped the bar even further this month, with wonderful packaging and some sketch suggestions. Always a fan of a sketch I decided that I needed to give one a go. So here is my layout which is a pretty simple rendition of sketch 1

I started off by getting out my watercolour paints and trying to find some colours that would tone in with the papers from the Good Day kit. I found a turquoise, a reddy brown and a dark yellow.  I traced around my photo so that I would have something to work around without getting the photo wet. Then I took a deep breath and painted the wavy lines in a vaguely oval shape.
When I had done that I was tempted to throw the whole thing out as I thought I had made a terrible mistake. But I decided to leave it whilst I worked on the paper embellishments.

I used various heart dies and circle punches, as well as hand cutting some of the larger circles. I put the washi tapes from the Lovely Day embellishment kit onto white card before cutting them out - it made it easier to move the pieces around and made the colour shine more. Everything was then given my usual outline treatment - a Sharpie pen traced along the edge and then a thin pen to go around everything. I started playing around with clusters. I stapled them together and then added a cork heart over the top to hide the staple.

That gave me the idea to add black lines to my watercolour doodles and I so prefer the extra dimension this gives.

I backed the Jillibean Soup placemat with one of the papers to stop it sinking into the background and added the title on top
When it came to the journalling I thought of a few different things to do but was really tempted to try script journalling which is all the rage at the moment. I have a brush pen and tried practicing a few times before I went for it.
Well I tried...
One problem is that I chose to use textured Bazzill which may not have helped. The other is that I find it really hard not to write in a reasonably straight manner. I think this style is better if you can vary the height of letters. There we are.
Hopefully it kind of fits with the doodly frame round the photo.

I'd love to see what you do with the kit and the sketch so do link your layouts here so I can see them :)


No comments:

Post a Comment