My first observation

Hello its Lythan here, the new guest designer for Quirky Kits - who is feeling very, very lucky indeed to have been asked to showcase Observations, the newest kit available. It has so much potential with a mix of sunny colours and some cool grey (sounds a bit like a British summer then). I decided to challenge myself to see how many layouts I could make using the kit. I'm going to limit myself to papers and embellishments from the kit but will add in a few punches, inks and sprays etc along the way.

Here is my first go...
my daughter left school (apart from exams) this week and wrote a long facebook post reflecting on all the things about to happen in her life. As well as leaving school we are soon to move from London to Devon which will be a big change. The post was so good I asked if I could scrap it, along with photos from her shirt signing. She said yes, but I also wanted to keep the words a little bit private, so here is my solution

Let's talk abut the rest of the layout first. I grunged up the edges of the cardstock with Pumice Stone Distress Ink (which I also used around the edge of everything else)

The green Kesi'art flowered paper was a spot on match to the writing on the back of the shirt - don't you love it when that happens? The butterflies come from the back of the same paper. I use butterflies a lot to symbolise change so these were perfect. I made sure that I cut around them before using a large portion of the green side on my page. I added a border using a deep doily punch.

I layered up more of the grey side of the paper with some of the MME Indie Chic History Blooms paper behind and the Lily Bee Buttercup Flower Pot paper on the top.

Now for the journalling layer:  I love the glassine envelopes in the kit and thought they would make a great solution to the privacy issue so I measured the inside of one of the large envelopes and trimmed some of the yellow bazzill to fit, which I printed the journalling on to. I made it into a tag using a circle punch and ribbon from the kit. I then stuck the envelope onto the layout. This allowed me to layer things on top but still pull out the journalling for people to read.


And then come more layers - the doily and butterfly stamp, the matted photo with button accent, the lovely Elle Studio "I treasure this", finished off with the awesome Amy Tan chipboard letters and a random sprinkling of shiny stars from the kit.

I hope this has inspired you to layer up with your Observations kit - and I have SO much more to use!

3 comments:

  1. Aah, how lovely!! Not just the sentiment but I love what you have done with the kit- got mine the other day and this has given some great ideas to start with!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the layering and what a brilliant journalling solution - funny enough I had been thinking of using my son's facebook page as a theme too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great layout Lythan and what a fab use of the glassine envelope for journalling - might have to pinch that one lol

    ReplyDelete