Lots of layers and no cardstock!

Hi Leo here today!

Hope you're treating yourself to some scrappy time this weekend. Here's a layout I finished up yesterday. I popped some idea in for things to try out. I used items from the current main and lite kits, (regular edition ones). I was also following the challenge of not using any plain cardstock set by UK Scrap Addicts this month. This was SO difficult to me as my default setting to start any page is to grab a sheet of plain white cardstock. I don't know about you but I sometimes feel a bit funny about using a whole sheet of patterned paper as a background. Like my brain will bug me thinking, "what about the other side that will get wasted!", "what about the other things I could do if I just cut it up". I squashed those thoughts this time as I just took delivery of some of the new papers this week for next kits and that got me thinking - there's more paper on the horizon! Just do it!!

Anyhoo here's my finished page:


The first stumbling block for not using plain cardstock was that I didn't have that to use as a photo mat. I thought the calendar side of the Crate Paper paper sheet from the main kit had a frame already as part of it so I made sure to print my photo to fit that frame then glued that over the top.

 Next I picked out this Jillibean Soup paper from the main kit and 'tidied' it up as I'd previously cut out a piece from it for a different layout so I used the width of the largest section to dictate the size. Instead of just cutting it I decided to create a 'distressed edge'. I used a wet paint brush to draw a line down the edge I wanted to 'cut'. Once the paper was saturated I ripped along the line then rolled up the edge. I repeated for the other side too. You need to then let the paper dry again but once it's dry the rolled edges stay rolled and it gives a nice flash of the yellow on the other side.
 I glued this sheet on to the other sheet of Jillibean Soup paper from the main kit with the side with the text on it. It's central on the paper. I then cut out a section of the black painted grid patterned paper from the main kit to glue over the top again.
 That was my background finished with no cardstock!! For the next step I first added my photo to my layout. I did this using 3D foam pads down the middle. This gives me the option then of tucking embellishments underneath as I build it up.


To build up the layers I used a mix of the ephemera from the Lite kit, (Jen Hadfield Along the Way ones and Jillibean Soup You Make MISO happy ones). I also cut out the leaves from the Carta Bella Our House Baking Time paper from the main kit.
I'm adapting the ephemera to suit my layout so I'm covering and layering and cutting the bits I don't want to leave me with the bits I do:

The little stickers from the Lite kit I made into a banner using off cuts of the black/white grid paper cut into little pennant shapes. I glued the piece of embroidery thread on first then added the paper pennant bits then the alphabet sticker over the top.


More of the ephemera being cut up to suit my layout. Here you can also see how it's handy to have foam pads just in the middle of my photo too so I can tuck behind the layers:

The last bit of ephemera I added with another foam pad over the top.

Hope it's given you some ideas to use for your next project! Do you find using no cardstock as difficult as I did?
x Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment